For one of our clients in US, we are looking for a Thermal Hydraulic Engineer to support Engineering and Office of Technology departments. This is a full-time position to be based in Corvallis, OR.
This position directly supports the Code Development Supervisor. The Thermal-Hydraulic Code Developer is responsible for developing cutting edge, proprietary reactor safety software that supports the design certification and commercialization of the NuScale SMR while also leading and mentoring junior staff in all areas of code development and thermal-hydraulics. This position requires an experienced nuclear thermal-hydraulics engineer in the area of light-water reactor safety analysis with knowledge of subchannel and/or system thermal-hydraulics analyses, methodologies, critical heat flux correlations, and two-phase flow.
- Supports both Engineering and Office of Technology departments in evaluating and developing state-of-the-art simulation tools for reactor safety analysis.
- Provides support in novel engineering activities such as simulation of accident tolerant fuel and density wave oscillations.
- Participates as sponsor of thermal-hydraulic tests supporting code development and validation activities.
- Advises in areas of code coupling and commercial impact of advanced tool development.
- Willing to develop input models and perform validation activities.
- Knows and masters system thermal-hydraulic code structure, numerical solution methods, models and correlations as well as their ranges of applicability (ex. RELAP, RETRAN, VIPRE, COBRA).
- Exercises in-depth knowledge and experience to develop and achieve software development objectives and goals in creative and effective ways.
- Advises on best path forward for implementing code changes and strategies necessary to meet new objectives or requirements.
- Provides engineering oversight to staff while acting as lead in the direction and supervision of work as needed.
- Develops with minimal supervision new models and code enhancements for proprietary reactor safety software.
- Mentors and trains less experienced engineers.
- Prepares code input for verification purposes and executes code testing activities as necessary.
- Writes and reviews technical documentation including responses to NRC requests for additional information, software quality assurance documents, engineering reports and calculations as needed in the area of code development.
- Provides technical and advisory assistance in area of expertise to staff and other departments.
- Participates in developing and updating company engineering procedures, standards and practices.
- Complies with stringent NQA-1, 10 CFR Part 50 Appendix B and 10 CFR Part 21 quality requirements.
- A minimum of a BS degree in in Mechanical, Nuclear or Chemical Engineering from a four year ABET accredited engineering program is required. MS or PhD preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience required.
- Demonstrated experience in thermal-hydraulic analyses including transient safety analysis required.
- Experience with industry-standard simulation tools such as RELAP5, RETRAN, COBRA, VIPRE required.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new advanced topics not previously familiar with required.
- Experience/familiarity with complex coupled multi-physics simulation tools preferred. (i.e., VERA, MOOSE, RELAP5 Executive)
- Previous code development and code validation experience required.
- Eligible to work under Department of Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
- Demonstrated understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1 preferred.