Industrial Hygienist – NASA AMES
Industrial Hygienist – NASA AMES
noise, air, chemical, lab safety
Category: Health and Safety
This pportunity for an Industrial Hygienist to the team supporting operations at NASA Ames Research Center. In this role you will work with a dynamic group to find solutions to challenging problems, have the opportunity to support NASA Ames mission, and work under leadership who support career growth. Since 1939, Ames has led NASA in conducting world-class research and development in aeronautics, exploration technology and science aligned with the center’s core capabilities.
The Industrial Hygienist will apply knowledge and experience in industrial hygiene concepts, processes, procedures with the goal of promoting continuous improvement to ensure a safe workplace environment. The successful candidate will lead programs, perform various monitoring (noise, air, chemical, lab safety, food sanitation) and provide training to eliminate occupational hazards. This role is responsible for verifying compliance with federal and state occupational health regulations, as well as achieving established corporate standards.
- Manage industrial hygiene programs and perform comprehensive annual program reviews, including lessons learned recommendations for improvement.
- Facilitate in-person and online training sessions to groups of up to 50 participants, which include employees, researchers, and interns.
- Conduct large-scale audits for industrial hygiene related hazards; make recommendations and implement corrective actions.
- Administer personal / area noise monitoring to recommend engineering controls and appropriate HPD noise reduction rating. Create detailed noise map with sound pressure levels to delineate hazardous noise areas.
- Develop comprehensive sampling plan and perform personal / area air monitoring to test for a range of chemicals. Use data to recommend engineering controls, administrative controls, and PPE.
- Investigate indoor air quality concerns; work with facilities and maintenance teams to address and resolve.
- Perform fume hood surveys following ASHRAE 110 guidance and assess local exhaust ventilation using the ACGIH Ventilation Manual.
- Utilizing the ACGIH Ventilation Manual, offer recommendations for new ventilation design and perform calculations to recommend design requirements.
- Calculate potential for oxygen deficiency and chemical gas buildup in case of accidental compressed gas / cryogen release. Perform quantitative respirator fit tests for all employees at ARC wearing elastomeric respirators.
- Complete quarterly food sanitation inspections of the 3 on-site food service facilities, and inspect NASA ARC sponsored events serving food.
- Perform asbestos/lead pre-renovation building surveys and provide oversight of asbestos / lead abatement.
- Remain current on industry standards by reading scientific journals on the latest research.
Interested in this position?
You can apply directly online using the button below
With a background in psychology, I am a proud member of Team Europe, finding the right fit for my clients and the most exciting job opportunities for my candidates!
Help us grow and achieve your potential at a values-driven business.