Civil & Structural Technical Lead
Sector: Nuclear R&D
Civil and Structural Team Lead
Holtec International and its subsidiary companies are designing an unconditionally safe and secure source of clean energy, the SMR-160 small modular reactor. The Position is offered by Holtec Britain as a member of the Holtec International family, a global turnkey supplier of equipment and systems for nuclear, solar, geothermal, and fossil power generation sectors of the energy industry. Come join a growing multidisciplinary team of engineers designing the next generation nuclear power station. The Civil Team Lead will lead and manage a group of engineers producing the civil and mechanical nuclear safety case. The Team Lead is responsible for the civil and mechanical sections of the Safety Case for submission to the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) for use in the Generic Design Assessment (GDA). This requires leadership experience in the production of nuclear safety case documentation in support of a developing reactor design to meet UK regulatory expectations and experience with leading and managing technical teams. The candidate will have detailed knowledge of metallic, reinforced concrete and soil-subgrade supported structures.
The Civil Team Lead reports through the Head of Licensing to the GDA Project Director and will build strong relationships with the US Director of Engineering Mechanics and other US SMR team members. The UK GDA is a critical element for commercial deployment of SMR-160s word-wide, and this role provides a unique opportunity in an exciting emerging technology and energy marketplace.
Experience should include:
- Static and dynamic finite element modelling and analyses (FEA) using codes such as ANSYS.
- Drop and impact (e.g., projectile) analyses and target response using codes such as LS-DYNA.
- Simulation of the seismic response of freestanding structures.
- Static and dynamic analyses of large reinforced concrete structures.
- Beam and plate stress calculations using established principles of strength of materials.
Specific Areas of Responsibility:
- Civil and structural nuclear safety case delivery.
- Providing line management and coordinating the team, being responsible for coaching and mentoring to develop the team and the individuals in technical skills and in personal skills enabling them to deliver.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to internal and external organisations including the nuclear regulators.
- Defend civil/mechanical design positions.
- Support UK team development, participating in interviews.
- Applicants should be prepared to play an active role in a project-driven and highly integrated engineering team.
- Degree qualified in an engineering or science related discipline.
- Must possess excellent credentials in principles of solid mechanics.
- Experience in developing nuclear safety cases for specified discipline.
- Ability to work independently and balance competing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to engage credibly within and external to the business.
- Strong presentation and communication skills – able to present at multiple organisational levels and to external regulatory stakeholders.
- A credible decision maker, able to create confidence through crafting of strong justifications and arguments.
- Eligible to work under 10 CFR Part 810.
- Academic or industrial experience in the latest stress analysis codes such as ANSYS, LS-DYNA, STAAD.Pro and GT STRUDL
- Soil-structure interaction (SSI) analyses with freestanding and/or anchored structures. including underground utility design and strength analysis and bearing and settlement analysis
Interested in this position?
You can apply directly online using the button below
Alexandria is a Senior Recruitment Consultant, based in Cumbria, UK, with a focus on delivering top talent in the nuclear industry. She strives to provide a quality recruitment experience while building solid relationships across the industry. Alexandria has a big passion for ED&I and works hard to promote inclusivity in the workplace.
Help us grow and achieve your potential at a values-driven business.