Safety Case Engineer
Holtec Britain - UK SMR
Sector: Nuclear R&D
Holtec International and its subsidiary companies are designing an unconditionally safe and secure source of clean energy, the SMR-300 small modular reactor. The Position is offered by Holtec Britain as a member of the Holtec International family, a global turnkey supplier of equipment and systems for nuclear, solar, geothermal, and fossil power generation sectors of the energy industry. Come join a growing multidisciplinary team of engineers designing the next generation nuclear power station. The Senior Safety Case Engineer will produce or review key supporting references to the Preliminary Safety Report for the Generic Design Assessment (GDA). This requires experience in the production of nuclear safety case documentation in support of a developing reactor design to meet UK regulatory expectations.
The Senior Safety Case Engineer build a strong relationship with the US SMR Licensing Team members. The UK GDA is a critical element for commercial deployment of SMR-300s word-wide, and this role provides a unique opportunity in an exciting emerging technology and energy marketplace.
- Safety Case Production (e.g. PCSR for GDA)
- Functional Safety Assessment
- Regulatory Interface
- ALARP Assessment
- Safety & Risk Assessment
- Deterministic Safety Assessment
- Nuclear Safety Legislation, Regulation and Gap Analysis
- Engineering Substantiation
- HAZOP and other identification studies
- Engineering Substantiation
- Management and organisational arrangements related to delivery of a Safety Case
Specific Areas of Responsibility:
- Production of Step 1 processes and reports including GDA scope, site envelope, and gap analysis.
- Production of specific sections of the Safety Case for GDA
- Production of key supporting references of the safety case, including classification and categorisation reports and screening assessments.
- Interact with regulators to explain licensing basis and CAE.
- Applicants should be prepared to play an active role in a project-driven and highly integrated engineering team interfacing with different Holtec offices in USA and Europe.
- Degree qualified in an engineering or science related discipline.
- Must possess excellent credentials in principles of civil nuclear safety case and strategy.
- Ability to demonstrate successful delivery of civil nuclear safety deliverables and strategy.
- Ability to work independently and balance competing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to engage credibly within and external to the business.
- A credible decision maker, able to create confidence through crafting of strong justifications and arguments.
- Chartered status or working towards
- Eligible to work under 10 CFR Part 810.
Desirable experience in one of the following areas:
- Nuclear fire safety assessment, and conventional fire safety assessment
- Probabilistic Safety Assessments
- Fuel & Core – experience of safety case for reactor vessel internals, fuel assemblies, neutron Sources and monitoring, control rods
- Security – experience with secure by design philosophy, protection from sabotage and theft cyber-security & information assurance (CS&IA).
Interested in this position?
You can apply directly online using the button below
Search and Process consultant with experience in operations, corporate, and nuclear recruitment in Benelux, Nordics, and UK markets. Passionate about people, different cultures, and mentalities. My role is to bring the most innovative talents to the nuclear industry, find the best opportunities for them, and develop a new relationship between Thomas Thor recruitment partners and potential candidates.
Help us grow and achieve your potential at a values-driven business.