Chief of Installations Design and Plant Layout
Sector: Nuclear R&D
Thomas Thor is working in partnership with Rolls-Royce SMR to recruit a Chief of Installations Design and Plant Layout to ensure the power station design is developed to deliver a fully integrated solution, developing and incorporating the RR SMR modularisation solutions and build certainty philosophy.
The installations and layout design team are critical to the realisation of the RR SMR power station design, bringing innovation to the way in which the power station is designed in accordance with the modularisation strategy, factory assembled and constructed on site. This Senior Leadership role will hold full accountability for all aspects of the power station installation design across all mechanical and electrical systems and have a key interface role with the site architecture and civils design.
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally. Spun out of Rolls-Royce with its pedigree in engineering excellence but also attracting world class inward investment this is an exciting new business with an optimistic opportunity to be a global player in the coming years. Their Intellectual Property and resource expertise has grown from an organization that has already designed and delivered over 35 nuclear reactors for use in the UK’s Royal Navy Submarine program. That’s combined with the knowledge and unique aerospace experience of manufacturing expertise, supply chain management and logistics.
SMR is an integrated power station, that takes well understood, existing nuclear technology and applies a factory-based philosophy to its fabrication and assembly to provide clean, affordable energy for all. Just one SMR can power one million homes for sixty years!
Launched in November 2021, Rolls-Royce SMR is an independent company with ambitious plans for growth, creating 40,000 regional UK jobs by 2050 and generating £52bn in economic benefit.
Leading a large multidisciplinary team, this is a superb opportunity to have a major impact on the detailed design development and realisation of the next generation of power stations that are designed to maximise build certainty and modularisation. Building on the lessons of past industry approaches, the RR SMR design brings unique innovation to their modularisation solutions, putting the focus onto installation design for standardised factory produced system modules.
You will lead a dynamic team to complete the baseline installation design and layout of the plant equipment, progressing the design to ensure robust compliance with all applicable codes and standards, safety and hazards assessments and deliver an optimum solution taking account of all constraints and requirements, aligned with Human Factors, manufacturing, assembly, construction and operations. This will then progress to deliver the detailed integrated layout and all module designs for release to manufacture.
- Technically lead and drive their specified elements of the design programme in line with the programme’s policies and processes, including leadership and integration of multidisciplinary teams and supply chain partners to deliver the full scope of the power station installation design.
- Own the delivery programme for their accountable scope of supply and create and manage suitable design milestone schedules to deliver the required design documentation/definition to the programme.
- Provide the technical leadership into the delivery approach for installation design including strategic direction and engagement of the wider supply chain / partners.
- Manage and agree requirements across the Installation design scope and ensure requirements are satisfied in accordance with any required V&V plans and programmes.
- Manage the development and configuration of the power station installation and layout models to ensure a fully integrated model is developed with all the required data attributes in support of the project’s digital and data strategies.
- Work in conjunction with the CAD, BIM and Configuration teams to define and manage the process for integrated model development and data management.
- Develop product cost estimates, manage the wider technical attributes for their scope and maintain the associated opportunity and risk registers.
- Develop and implement robust governance processes for their scope of supply, integrating it into the wider power station / programme governance cycle.
- Deliver and own any generated engineering substantiation and safety cases for the installation design and layout.
- Develop and lead the team and the capability development of the business in this area.
The role will require strong experience of installation and layout design in comparable industry, preferably with nuclear industry experience but process industry and wider power plant applications is also directly relevant. The proven ability to manage and lead large teams and a demonstrable ability to take knowledge and lessons from the past and apply them to drive innovation and pioneer a new approach in the way installation design is delivered, is a key ask. They are looking for someone who can see beyond the way things have always been done and drive their key innovations through to realisation.
- Proven experience in leading and delivering large complex installation design programmes.
- Systems Engineering expertise (complex system integration)
- Solid awareness of energy systems and power generation systems or equivalent
- Chartered Engineer or equivalent and hold a relevant technical degree level qualification
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
Their commitment to inclusion
At Rolls-Royce SMR, they value diversity and inclusivity in all aspects of their work. They believe that a diverse and inclusive workplace create a positive and supportive environment where all employees can bring their unique perspectives and ideas to the table. They are committed to creating a workplace culture where everyone feels valued and respected, regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, or any other aspect of their identity.
Reasonable adjustments will be made in line with Equality Act 2010 to support any candidate or employee who requires them. This may include changes to working hours, training, or working environment.
Interested in this position?
You can apply directly online using the button below
6+ years’ experience in international engineering recruitment. Enjoy working on senior level technical roles that prove challenging to fill. Specialized in the nuclear industry – new build projects, having a particular interest in advanced nuclear technology. Focused on building strong relationships with candidates and clients to ensure a positive candidate experience and effective account management.
Help us grow and achieve your potential at a values-driven business.