Lead Systems Engineer – Conventional Island
Sector: Nuclear New Build
Do you want to contribute to the development of a new energy technology that can safely turn nuclear waste into emission-free energy? Are you excited about working in a hands-on deep tech start-up team that aims to make a huge impact? Do you like complex challenges? Then, we might be just the company you are looking for!
We are looking for a driven Lead System Engineer – Conventional island to join our innovative and international team.
Our client is a developer of nuclear power solutions. The company designs and creates frontier technology for Molten Salt Reactors (MSR). There are currently 18 professional experts in Amsterdam and an office is being opened in Lyon, France. The primary location of the role will be in the new office in Lyon.
They currently have a team of ~18 in Amsterdam and are hiring a similar sized team in Lyon. They are in the development phase and aim to solidify our design through analyses, experiments, simulations, and partnerships.
As the Lead System Engineer for the conventional island, you are responsible for the design and realisation of the conventional island of the nuclear power plant. This is a pioneering role, you initiate and build the team that will deliver this system, as the product owner. You make sure the design progresses effectively and fulfills the functional requirements. You are a strong content leader, with thorough technical background and experience with system engineering (knowledge of ISO 15288) and realisation and combine this with excellent teamwork, people and stakeholder management and communication skills.
* Take the responsibility for the development of the Conventional Island and related systems (e.g., turbine, heat sink, site, supporting infrastructure) from conceptual design to realisation.
* Define, validate and verify (functional) requirements for the system, optimize the design to deliver on those requirements, and continuously manage trade-offs in the design envelope. (e.g., performance, costs) while ensuring maximum safety.
* Lead a team of (sub) system engineers developing the systems of the conventional island.
* Initiate projects with our expert engineers that support you and your team with analyses, validation, verification and qualification.
* Form a high-performing team with the other System Engineers responsible for the core cartridges, nuclear island, building and logistics, and control system, and with the CTO, COO and program manager.
* Select, qualify and manage external contractors that support you in your mission.
* Deliver system documentation, prepare design reviews and ensure system integration.
* Give input to the design process and a system engineering approach, defined by program management and leverage that process to enable the team to work in the most effective way and implement the same way of working across the offices.
* Build documentation and presentation to enable licensing discussion with safety authorities
* Provide leadership and mentoring in an international, growing team – role modelling openness, collaboration, team spirit, and taking responsibility.
* Report to the COO
Qualifications and Experience
* You are a strong generalist engineer that likes challenging and multidisciplinary projects.
* You have over 10 years of (system) engineering and (project) management working experience in energy systems, experience in implementing the ISO15288, ideally including nuclear systems.
* You are an all-round engineer that uniquely combines content expertise, personal leadership, and team leadership skills:
o You have a strong understanding and experience with large power system design.
o You can strategically connect the dots between design drivers in a complex multi-disciplinary project. You can zoom in and out, connecting strategy and objectives to concrete requirements, roadmaps, and actions.
o You are a solution-oriented go-getter who positively drives a team forward and unlocks the potential and knowledge of others.
o You have strong stakeholder management skills and management experience leading a team and taking ownership of deliverables.
* You have experience with realization of complex technical systems, preferably in the field of balance of plant (BoP) and energy generation. You transfer this knowledge in the team and are able to deliver the systems at scale.
* You can work in an agile manner and are comfortable at the fast-moving pace of a technological scale-up. Ideally you have been actively involved in design to build projects, and developing and managing the teams involved.
* You are excited by pioneering and a path finder for the design and the set-up of this new team. You are a fast learner that has the potential to lead the realisation in the future.
* You have a master’s degree in engineering, or equal by experience.
* You are an excellent communicator (clear is kind) in English, both spoken and written. French and/or Dutch would be considered a strong plus.
* You are willing to travel between Lyon and Amsterdam once a month.
* You have an intrinsic motivation to make an impact and want to contribute to a responsible energy supply
Interested in this position?
You can apply directly online using the button below
A trusted Recruitment Consultant with strong ability to manage recruiting processes and deliver high-quality results. I have a broad experience in recruiting for a wide range of roles across nuclear and renewables within UK, EMEA region and North America.
Help us grow and achieve your potential at a values-driven business.