Lead Systems Engineer – Control Systems
Sector: Nuclear New Build
Do you want to contribute to the development of a new energy technology that can safely turn nuclear waste into emission-free energy? Are you excited about working in a hands-on deep tech start-up team that aims to make a huge impact? Do you like complex challenges? Then, we might be just the company you are looking for!
We are looking for a driven Lead Systems Engineer- Control Systems to join our innovative and international team.
Our client is a developer of nuclear power solutions. The company designs and creates frontier technology for Molten Salt Reactors (MSR). There are currently 18 professional experts in Amsterdam and an office is being opened in Lyon, France. The primary location of the role will be in the new office in Lyon.
They currently have a team of ~18 in Amsterdam and are hiring a similar sized team in Lyon. They are in the development phase and aim to solidify our design through analyses, experiments, simulations, and partnerships.
As the Lead Systems Engineer – Control Systems, you are responsible for the design and realization of the control systems of the nuclear power plant. This is a pioneering role, you initiate and build the team that will deliver this system, as the product owner. You make sure the design progresses effectively and fulfills the functional requirements. You are a strong content leader, with thorough technical background and experience with system engineering (knowledge of ISO 15288) and realisation and combine this with excellent teamwork, people and stakeholder management and communication skills. This role is based in Lyon.
* Lead the development of the control system (e.g., software, sensors, instrumentation) from conceptual design to realization.
* Define, validate and verify (functional) requirements for the system, optimize the design to deliver on those requirements, and manage trade-offs in the design envelope. (e.g., reliability, performance, lifetime, costs) while continuously ensuring maximum safety.
* Gradually build and lead a team of engineers developing the control system.
* Initiate projects with our expert engineers that support you and your team with analyses, validation, verification and qualification.
* Form a high-performing team with the other System Engineers responsible for the core cartridges, nuclear island, conventional island, and building and logistics, and with the CTO, COO and program manager to manage interfaces and enable a consistent system across the plant.
* Select, qualify and manage external contractors that support you in your mission.
* Deliver system documentation, prepare design reviews, and ensure system integration.
* Give input to the design process, defined by program management and leverage that process to enable the team to work in the most effective way and implement the same way of working across the offices.
* Build documentation and presentation to enable licensing discussion with safety authorities
* Provide leadership and mentoring in an international, growing team – role modelling openness, collaboration, team spirit, and taking responsibility.
* Report to the COO
Qualifications and Experience
* You are a strong generalist engineer that likes challenging and multidisciplinary projects.
* You have over 10 years of working experience in instrumentation and control system design (I&C). Experience in the nuclear sector is considered a strong plus.
* You are an all-round engineer that uniquely combines content expertise, personal leadership, and team leadership skills:
o You have a strong understanding of instrumentation and integrated control system design.
o You can strategically connect the dots between design drivers in a complex multi-disciplinary project. You can zoom in and out, connecting strategy and objectives to concrete requirements, roadmaps, and actions.
o You are a solution-oriented go-getter who positively drives a team forward and unlocks the potential and knowledge of others.
o You have strong stakeholder management skills and management experience leading a team and taking ownership of deliverables.
* You can work in an agile manner and are comfortable at the fast-moving pace of a technological scale-up. Ideally you have been actively involved in the set-up of a new design or department.
* You are excited by pioneering and a path finder for the design and the set-up of this new team. You are a fast learner that has the potential to lead this larger department in the future.
* You have a master’s degree in engineering.
* You are an excellent communicator (clear is kind) in English, both spoken and written. French and/or Dutch would be considered a strong plus.
* You are willing to travel between Lyon and Amsterdam once a month.
Interested in this position?
You can apply directly online using the button below
A trusted Recruitment Consultant with strong ability to manage recruiting processes and deliver high-quality results. I have a broad experience in recruiting for a wide range of roles across nuclear and renewables within UK, EMEA region and North America.
Help us grow and achieve your potential at a values-driven business.