Are you an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer with excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to lead and manage a team? Our client, an engineering centre of excellence, have an opportunity for a Design Leader to join their team. As Section Leader the job-holder will manage a number of employees, allocating tasks appropriately, conducting appraisals and recruiting. They will ensure that the team members understand the section`s remit, promote group and section throughout the organisation and beyond, and they will help create a team working environment.
Ideally you will strengthen and complement our existing team with experience that includes leading design work on major sub-systems, from concept through to detailed design, and supporting the work plan and projects on enhancement programs and future technologies. The job-holder is experienced in designing using the appropriate and latest manufacturing techniques to support design decisions in a timely manner and in accordance with BS8888 and internal standards. They may manage projects for system/component repair, replacement or upgrade activities and produce technical reports to The Design Office Section Leader will promote/utilise industry`s best practices and facilitate the implementation of process enhancements that support strategic demands at affordable investment levels
- Safely and effectively manage/motivate/coach/supervise the section.
- Supervise staff /ASWs/ junior designers and students, providing them with challenging projects, monitoring their progress and providing constructive feedback.
- Adhere to and ensure staff under their supervision adhere to Group and organisational management systems.
- Support in raising the standard for Group competences and be proactive in defining new systems or processes that enhance the productivity of the Group/section or the wider organisation.
- Demonstrate good communications with personnel across the organisation.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of technical change control.
- Assist users in the development of Configuration Identification to ensure systems are broken down in an appropriate manner.
- Assist Designers/Work Package Managers interface with suppliers/contractors in defining the configuration management requirements.
- Assist and support the configuration team in general configuration management activities
- Support all design aspects relating to assigned systems or components including repair, maintenance, replacement or upgrade projects.
- Experience in managing/coaching and leading a team.
- A relevant engineering degree/HNC/apprenticeship or equivalent
- Incorporated or Chartered Engineer status with a suitable professional institution.
- Leading teams and supervising other staff
- Experience in V5 CATIA /AutoCAD based CAD modelling and draughting.
- Ability to perform exploratory design concepts using first principles
- Proven capability in engineering design and a good working knowledge of manufacturing techniques/engineering materials
- Good working knowledge of structural engineering, vacuum systems, cryogenics, fabrications, machining and engineering materials.
- Experience with working to design standards
- Good communication and technical writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills