Calculation Engineer – Piping
Job type: Freelance
Experience Level: minimum 10 years of experience
One of our clients, an Engineering company involved in major nuclear projects in Belgium, is recruiting a Calculation Engineer (Piping specific) to manage the various aspects of structural integrity of mechanical components related to ASME Section III code for the construction/operation of existing or new nuclear power plants.
You will be performing calculations and the analysis and interpretation of results, based on information provided by design engineer and drafter.
A first 12-month contract with possibility of renewal, based in Brussels.
- Supervise all the calculations of the ASME III mechanical and piping components and including Class 1, 2&3 components
- Use and guide the other colleagues in Finite-Elements Studies (SYSTUS, ANSYS or / and PIPESTRESS code) for thermal and pressure fatigue evaluation of mechanical and piping components with respect to ASME code
- Familiar with the use of the ASME III code and able to lead other colleagues in its application
- Aware of all the different analyses : mechanical, thermal and pressure transients applicable to all Class 1 mechanical and piping components of each belgian nuclear units
- Help our Client to safely restart their nuclear units through fast and judicious justification for continuation in case of alteration of the structural integrity of an ASME component
- Take charge of the invitation to tender, the technical and economical comparison between bids; the awarding of contracts, the review of external studies
- Conduct the technical and commercial follow up of the contracts, including interfaces management
- Write component technical specifications (performances, scope of supply and limits of supply definition ,design requirements, applicable ASME III criteria to meet)
- 10+ years of experience in stress and fatigue analysis of pressure vessels (piping, pumps, tanks, heat exchangers,..) You are able to predict the response of structures under static and dynamic loading
- Experience in general purpose Finite Element (FE) codes such as PipeStress, Beamstress, Ansys, Systus, … for piping applications
- Knowledge of the mechanical properties of different steels and alloy steels used in this topic
- Experience in application of pressure vessel codes such as ASME III, ASME VIII, RCC-M, CODAP, DIN, KTA, …
- Experience in thermal fatigue (elastic or plastic) structural analysis and evaluation of the heat transfer coefficients in water, in steam, …
- Experience to evaluate by FE calculation stresses for static loads or dynamic loads , in case of linear or non linear analysis
- Coaching of junior engineers
- Languages: fluent in Dutch or French and professional English
We are offering a long-term freelance opportunity working on nuclear projects. In addition there are numerous possibilities to further develop your skills and gain more knowledge on the industry.
Thomas Thor Associates is a recruitment and consulting organisation dedicated to the nuclear industry. We recruit for roles in nuclear new build, operations, decommissioning, research and waste management and our clients include nuclear regulators, operators, engineering companies and research organisations.
You want to apply?
Please forward your CV directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Clarisse on +31 20 622 58 89 for an informal discussion on this or other opportunities.