We are searching for a Civil Engineer to be part of a one-of-a-kind project to support the development of the first 4th Generation small modular (nuclear) reactor in Canada for an industry-leading R&D nuclear organization.
This is a full-time permanent and initially remote employment opportunity, with eventual office location in Ottawa, ON.
As the Civil Engineer, you will lead and provide concept designs, interfaces with plant systems, oversight and proper and timely delivery of the earthworks, infrastructure and building works for the MMR™ design. Additionally, you will oversee Civil engineering work and projects whether done internally or externally by contracted engineering firms.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
Specific responsibilities will include leading and performing engineering design for Civil Engineering aspects of projects from conceptual design stage through to construction and hand over. The Civil design will include, but not be limited to:
- Site layout design and production of drawings.
- Identification and specification of interfaces with existing infrastructure on the site.
- Oversight of geotechnical investigations and review of geotechnical reports.
- Bulk earthworks design and related drawings.
- Development of excavation methodologies for the citadel, salt tanks and other buried structures.
- Roads layout, concept design and production of drawings.
- Infrastructure design including stormwater, potable and fire water systems, sewage reticulation, electrical / I&C trenches / tunnels.
- Development of specifications and bills of quantities for the above.
- Application of the GFP Quality Management System (QMS) to all activities.
- Maintain an intimate knowledge of the MMR power plant and systems so that interfaces with the various systems are maintained.
- Review 3rd party designs, drawings, specifications, bills of quantities, contract documentation, and party QMS, processes and procedures.
- Write and plan project scopes, proposals, estimates, change notices, budgets, and similar documents.
- Manage engineering costs and maintain schedules by monitoring project progress, coordinating activities, and resolving problems.
- Construction supervision including earthworks, infrastructure and building works.
- Review and evaluation of the logistics for the modular/precast systems to be used in the building works.
- Provide oversight for field construction and hand over activities of Civil Engineering systems.
- University degree in Civil Engineering.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) in the Province of Ontario.
- A total of 8-12 years experience including 5+ years working in civil engineering projects performing infrastructure design.
- Experienced in preparing technical specifications and bills of quantities for civil engineering works, evaluation of proposals, preparation and review of drawings.
- A strong background in the design and specification of civil engineering infrastructure projects for industrial installations in Canada.
- Proficient in civil engineering design and CAD software (e.g., AutoCAD).
- Strong understanding of regulatory codes and standards including CSA and CNSC.
- Strong background in earthworks, civil infrastructure and construction supervision as demonstrated by practical knowledge, Canadian best practices, knowledge of health, safety and environmental practices.
- Experience in power plants would be beneficial though not necessary.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; for this role we will only consider candidates who are eligible to work in Canada (citizenship, permanent residency, work permit with sufficient duration).
Civil Engineering | Conceptual & Detailed Design | Earthworks | Infrastructure & Building Works | Project Engineering