For one of our clients, one of the leading nuclear organisations in Canada, we are looking an experienced Cyber Security expert to lead and grow a team at their Fredericton location in the Canadian province of New Brunswick (NB). The Cyber Security Lead Engineer will contribute to cyber security research activities.
This position supports and leads the cyber security research team for one of the leading nuclear organisations in Canada. Digital security concerns and evolving standards and regulations are driving demand for safe and secure solutions by both business and industrial consumers. Unlike IT systems, industrial control systems are often bound by strict regulatory requirements and rigorous change controls that introduce complexities, risks and cost that are substantially higher for any modernization or modification and therefore requires specialists in Instrumentation & Control (I&C) systems with cyber security expertise.
- Take a lead role in building complex software systems.
- Supervise large groups of engineering and technical staff in highly technical applications, with responsibility for motivating and guiding the team and their technical output.
- Identify new opportunities as a result of investigations and lead R&D activities to exploit new and existing prospects. Organize, manage, propose, and lead projects and experiments that address people, process and security risks in the cyber domain.
- Manage the development of a cyber-test facility comprising simulated process control, segmented networks modelling different security zones, and various cyber and physical security products.
- Propose new cyber security techniques and technologies and design, develop, test and validate these new capabilities with the goal of developing practical and innovative cyber security solutions for industrial control applications.
- Provide leadership for developing and applying engineering rigor, defining and following standards, and provide insight in such areas.
- Provide presentations to stakeholders and contribute to internal reports, presentations, and technical refereed journal publications.
- Other duties as required.
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Applied Mathematics from a university of recognized standing, or membership in an engineering or scientific professional organization authorized by statute to establish qualification for membership in that organization.
- Have 15+ years of experience in I&C systems technology, or information security/cyber security technology. It is recognized that supporting IT systems versus OT systems involve different skill sets and that candidates will likely be more experienced in one area than another. Experience in both disciplines is an asset, or a demonstrated ability to learn quickly, have strong self-motivation and enthusiasm for the work, attention to detail and good organization skills.
- Proven leadership experience leading engineering and technical staff.
- Strong technical problem-solving skills, ability to make recommendations on technical issues, and prepare work plans with minimal supervision.
- Expert knowledge and/or experience with cyber security technologies (e.g., intrusion detection systems, forensic analysis tools, next generation firewalls, application control, whitelisting, AV, encryption, automated auditing, analytics), and advanced persistence threats, zero-day exploits, malware attack vectors and threat intelligence.
- History of working carefully and accurately, with passionate commitment to quality and meeting customer expectations
- Extensive practical knowledge and hands-on experience with computer programming and hardware. Expertise of particular interest include:
- Programming/scripting languages (e.g., C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Perl)
- Computing technologies (e.g., VMWare, Hyper-V HyperVisors, SIEMs, switch and firewall configurations),
- Operating Systems (e.g., QNX, Linux, Windows, Windows Server) and Kernel-level programming,
- Communications Protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL), and
- Instrumentation and Control expertise (e.g., PLC’s, DCS, MODBUS, Profibus, OPC) is desired.
- Ability to think abstractly and deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems and various types of clients and customers.
- Ability to handle software and hardware problems; devise new approaches, apply existing criteria in new manners, and draw complex conclusions.
- Can very effectively articulate novel ideas, concepts, and proposals for new projects and ongoing work.
- Experience and willingness to mentor junior developers and engineers.
- Higher education (MSc, and/or PhD) is an asset.