Thomas Thor are proud to be working exclusively with an ambitious next generation nuclear technology vendor, looking to integrate novel AMR systems into the UK Market.
This role is responsible for the leading the development and detailed design of the components of an Advanced Modular Reactor (AMR), in many cases starting from a concept design.
This job will require effective working with internal and external teams including neutronics, chemistry, materials science, and manufacturing
Leading the development and design of components from concept to final production versions.
Duties and Tasks:
- Develop the mechanical design of components
- Identify research and development programmes that are required to support or justify the development and design
- Lead or contribute to the above research programmes to ensure the intended objectives are met
- Develop and agree schedules and budgets for all development and design tasks
- Manage the delivery of mechanical development and design tasks in accordance with the agreed schedule and budget and provide regular progress reporting on progress
- Ensure that all work is delivered in accordance with the Management System
- Contribute to the technical assessment and management of subcontractors.
- Degree qualified professional mechanical engineer, or similar.
- Experience of the development of high integrity technology involving significant mechanical design.
- Broad science and engineering appreciation with the demonstrable ability and intellect to understand other disciplines and effectively apply this to their development and design work.
- Experienced user of CAD and FEA software packages
- Knowledge of the principles of nuclear reactor design
- Good understanding of the principles of solid mechanics, thermodynamics and fluid mechanics as applied to nuclear reactors
- Familiarity with Generation IV nuclear reactor concepts
- Experience in the use and application of CFD software packages
- Behavioral skills and personality
The company’s mission is to bring AMR technology to market as quickly as possible. To achieve this the role holder will need to be:
- A specialist in their field with the knowledge, intellect, and curiosity to understand the wider science and technical aspects of the technology.
- A problem solver who is driven to find simple solutions and not to over complicate development and design work.
- Delivery focused as well as being technically strong.
- An excellent team worker who will integrate well with other members of the team to make the ‘whole greater than the sum of the parts’ and ensure progress of the reactor design as a whole.
- An adaptable and flexible individual who will be comfortable in a rapidly growing and changing company.