We have been assigned by one of our clients Canadian Nuclear Laboratories to recruit a Fuel Scientist for Water Reactors. This is a permanent role based in Chalk River, Ontario Canada.
This role will be part of the Fuel Post Irradiation Examination Section include the measurement of irradiated fuel parameters and the development of novel techniques to assess fuel performance. These activities are required to support the development of advanced fuel materials, evaluate performance, inform safety evaluations, and increase confidence in new fuel designs.
The Fuel R&D Scientist will report to the Fuel Post Irradiation Examination Section Head, and have the following responsibilities:
- Work in teams of professionals and technologists specializing in post irradiation examination of fuel and fuel performance assessment;
- Provide direction and insights into strategic development of capabilities for Light Water Reactor Post Irradiation Examination;
- Participate in the development of processes to measure fuel performance parameters;
- Conduct post-irradiation studies of nuclear fuels and develops processes for post-irradiation examination of fuels;
- Develop processes to characterize non-irradiated and irradiated fuel materials and components;
- Write technical reports and publish in open-literature high-caliber journals;
- Provide progress reports against deliverables for R&D and commercial projects
- Provide direction to teams of scientists, business development staff, and technical personnel
- PhD in Engineering or Science
- Strong experience in Light Water Reactor fuel AND Light Water Reactor Post Irradiation Examination
- Strong knowledge of nuclear fuel, fuel characterization, fuel performance, and related topics
- Strong background in the field of fuel performance assessment
- Knowledge of safety standards and quality assurance in laboratory operations is essential
- Experience with proposal preparation, budget man
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal are essential.
- Experience in fuel performance or fuel properties modeling is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to supervise scientific and technical staff