For a well known Client operating in the UK, Thomas Thor is currently in search of a Head of Innovation. This is a permanent position. If this job opportunity is of interest to you, please submit your resume.
Our Client is looking to lead the search for new and emerging technologies and approaches, horizon scanning across their Group to support strategy development, drive Group-wide opportunities and build and maintain relationships across the sector and beyond. In particular ensuring that decommissioning can benefit and support Government initiatives such as the Nuclear Sector Deal and Grand Challenges, especially in the field of robotics and artificial intelligence. Stakeholder engagement and ability to communicate with many types of stakeholders is essential including influencing to realise innovation and funding opportunities. The focus of this role also needs to include the cultural aspects of developing an innovation culture within and across the Group.
- Leading the development of technical innovation strategy across the Group to ensure an integrated approach.
- Leading the development and implementation of the approach to searching for new and emerging technologies and approaches (horizon scanning) for the Group.
- Establishing the strategic opportunity timeline for technology insertion to achieve significant benefits across the decommissioning baseline.
- Developing an appropriate culture across the nuclear decommissioning sector in which technical innovation can flourish.
- Working with SLCs/subsidiaries to ensure their technical innovation programmes are appropriate for the size and nature of their challenges.
- Developing, seeking funding and leading across Group innovation programme to support early innovation opportunities or particularly large scale innovation opportunities, recognising those in between will probably be embedded in the SLC/subsidiary programmes.
- Acting as a lead for innovation across sector (within nuclear) and beyond including similar regulated industries nationally and internationally.
- Developing appropriate reward and incentivisation strategy and metrics for innovation.
- Building a team to deliver the above.
- Travel will be required to fulfil the requirements of this role, typically two days per week.
- Experience of setting up and delivering innovation/R&D programmes (values greater than £3M).
- Experience of working across sectors (preferably regulated environments) to understand innovation culture and drive disruptive change.
- Experience of working in the nuclear industry or some other highly regulated environment is desirable along with experience/understanding of procurement processes to facilitate innovation.
- Experience of working with government departments with regard to securing funding and delivering innovation.
- Credibility, gravitas and presence to deliver and land messages and recommendations from reviews to sponsors, clients, deliverers and users such that they are acted upon.
- Excellent leadership and influencing skills working across all types of teams, together with the ability to communicate and influence effectively at all levels.
- Educated to graduate level, preferably in a field such as engineering or science
- Chartered Status or similar professional qualification
- Candidates will be expected to achieve SC level of security clearance.
If you would like an informal chat to discuss this role further, please contact either Joanne Slater <firstname.lastname@example.org> or James O’Shaughnessy <email@example.com> and they will be happy to arrange a call.