Thomas Thor are working in an exclusive partnership with newcleo to support their UK operational expansion and create the senior structure of their technical delivery team.
Privately funded and headquartered in London, newcleo was launched in 2021 to be a disruptor in the field of nuclear energy. Its mission is to generate safe, clean, economic and practically inexhaustible energy for the world, through a radically innovative combination of existing, accessible technologies. With visionary co-founders, newcleo capitalises on thirty years of R&D activity in metal-cooled fast reactors and liquid-lead cooling systems, and our senior management and advisory team can boast hundreds of years in cumulative hands-on experience.
newcleo’s technology, mostly comprising a novel approach to already qualified solutions, addresses equally well the three challenges affecting the nuclear industry to date: waste, safety and cost.
- Waste:Our fast reactors are capable of efficient “burning” (i.e., fission) of depleted uranium, plutonium and Minor Actinides. When operated with MOX fuel generated from reprocessed nuclear waste, our reactors not only ensure sustainability by closing the fuel cycle, but can also boost energy independence
- Safety: Our lead-cooled reactors operate at atmospheric pressure. The properties of lead (thermal capacity and conductivity, boiling point, chemically inert, low neutron activation, shielding properties) together with newcleo’s passive safety systems ensure very high levels of safety
- Cost: Our reactor design has been optimised over the last 20 years leading to the concept of an ultra-compact and transportable 200MWe modules with improvements in energy density compared to other technologies. Costs are kept low by means of simplicity, compactness, modularity, atmospheric pressure operation and elevated output temperature.
In the UK, newcleo’s immediate focus is on delivering a prototype 30MWe LFR by 2030 followed by an initial battery of 4-6 x 200MWe reactors with deployment planned for the early 2030s. We are also considering options for the manufacture and supply of MOX fuel. We are building our team to meet this challenging and exciting objective.
The Head of Delivery will assume project management responsibility for newcleo’s fleet of UK reactor projects through the development and implementation phases until handover to operations, ensuring excellence in project delivery at all times. A key part of the role will be setting projects up for success, building in lessons learned and critical success factors at an early stage, establishing a clear delivery model/ team including clarity of roles and responsibilities/ lines of communication across newcleo and with the supply chain. In so doing you will need to collaborate closely with colleagues in Turin and Lyon to ensure alignment with developing newcleo standards and common ways of working. You will build and lead a strong and highly capable UK project delivery team including technical project management and integration, construction site management and project controls.
- Lead newcleo’s UK project delivery function to manage development and implementation of our fleet of reactor projects in the UK to meet all relevant objectives (e.g. safety, quality, time, cost etc.).
- Establish the integrated development and delivery plan for each project (cross-functional/full life-cycle), bringing together contributions from across newcleo, both in the UK, Italy and France, and from the supply chain.
- Oversee development and delivery activities ensuring cross-functional alignment and integration and a one-team approach across newcleo and with our supply chain.
- Be responsible for control of the site(s) during the development and construction phases.
- Lead the development of newcleo’s delivery capability, including those relating to our Intelligent Customer duties and responsibilities, with a clear focus on efficient and effective delivery.
- Ensure robust application of established newcleo policies, processes and procedures whilst contributing to their ongoing development and continuous improvement.
- Establish strong supply chain partnerships and industrial collaborations to realise delivery success.
- Build strong stakeholder relationships at a local, regional, national and international level, helping to grow newcleo’s reputation and credibility and support for our projects.
- Lead by example on international collaboration, knowledge sharing and team working with colleagues across UK, Italy and France.
- Contribute to building newcleo’s overall UK business case.
- Play a key role as part of the UK leadership team including deputising for the Project Director, UK Operations as required.
- Demonstrable success in leading development and delivery of large and complex programmes/ projects of £bn scale in highly regulated environments. Ideally with experience in the nuclear sector, but other power/infrastructure backgrounds may be considered.
- A highly capable, flexible and adaptable leader; able to provide evidence of building and growing capability across people, processes and systems and implementing transformational change.
- Previous responsibility for management of activities on live construction sites with appropriate safety, security and environmental protection competence.
- Degree in a relevant engineering or science subject.
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally as part of the role.