The incumbent will be part of a well-established team of professionals and technologists specializing in the study of neutron irradiation damage and its effects on reactor component material performance. The branch conducts research into alloys/components in current reactor designs as well as alloys/components proposed for future reactor concepts. The capabilities of the branch include developing irradiation programs; characterizing irradiated materials; developing predictive models of radiation damage and deformation; and applying neutron scattering techniques to material research.
- Provides novel solutions to problems in the areas of environmentally assisted degradation, welding, metallurgy, diffusion on solids, creep & creep fatigue, and material issues (radiation damage, corrosion, and/or fatigue) in both conventional (light, heavy-water) and small modular/advanced nuclear reactors.
- Provides leadership to interdisciplinary R&D projects for commercial and internal customers.
- Influences the company’s strategic technical direction
- Writes technical reports and peer-reviewed publications.
- Supervises junior and intermediate professional and technical staff.
- Represents the company on major scientific and technological issues nationally and internationally.
- Participates in the safe operations of laboratories.
- PhD in a physical science or engineering, from a university of recognized standing, or membership in an engineering or scientific professional organization authorized by statute to establish qualification in that organization.
- Significant experience (10+ years) in the research areas of environmentally assisted degradation, welding, metallurgy, diffusion on solids, creep & creep fatigue, and material issues in both conventional (light, heavy-water) and small nuclear reactors
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, with a substantial publication record
- Significant experience in providing scientific direction to multi-disciplinary research programs in the areas of material degradation
- Experience in mentoring junior professional staff.