On behalf of our client, a nuclear technology company, we are currently looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer. It’s a remote contract role with possible travel in the future.
In this role, you will create structural and mechanical design solutions, 3D CAD models and engineering drawings for the conceptual and preliminary design development for advanced Generation IV reactors. Candidates must have extensive experience in mechanical/structural design and drafting using a mainstream CAD system.
- Coordinate input and requirements from the Engineering and Project teams to produce mechanical and structural design solutions.
- Provide planning and schedule input for design activities
- Create CAD models optimized for anticipated future work and engineering drawings
- Create engineering drawings, applying ASME 14.1 and Y14.5 standards
- Perform scoping analysis and calculations for design options
- Interface with the team’s engineering analysis activities
- Present mechanical design results for design reviews
- Assess technical merit of solutions provided by team members, including leading mechanical design reviews
- Interface with Subcontractors, providing direction and assimilating their work
- Support continuous learning and application of nuclear industry best practices in order to maintain the highest quality of engineering design and proactively identify process change/enhancement opportunities
- B.S. degree in Mechanical engineering or equivalent preferred
- A minimum of five years of CAD proficiency is required, SoildWorks preferred
- Ten years of mechanical and/or structural design experience is desired
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing per ASME Y14.5M
- Experience in Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA)
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills, creative thinker
- Ability to work with minimum direction to solve challenging problems
- Ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently during a given work week
- Nuclear design experience preferred
- Experience with design codes such as the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code is desired
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trustworthiness and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork