Our client a major organisation within the Nuclear Industry are seeking a Nuclear Structures Advisor for a permanent position based in the South West working on a Major Nuclear New Build Project.
The purpose of the post of Nuclear Structures Advisor is to support in providing adequate control and oversight of the design (including modifications and concessions) produced by the supply chain with responsibility for establishing requirements, review and acceptance.
- Support as a core member of the Design Authority Team, in the delivery of business plan related targets.
- Lead review activities for high significance design changes (i.e. Category 1 or 2 Design Changes) providing a recommendation to the Decision Panel as to whether to accept or reject the change.
- Engage with members of the DA on low significance design changes (i.e. Category 3 or 4) reporting any categorisation or process-related discrepancies to the Decision Panel.
- Lead the review of Major concessions providing a recommendation to the appropriate DA Head of Section as to whether to grant or reject the concession.
- Provide support in defining safety and environmental functional requirements and the preparation of the site specific nuclear safety and BAT cases in accordance with agreed project programmes.
- Provide support to UK SMEs working in the technical areas associated with structural integrity.
- Provide oversight and supervision of work undertaken within the Structural team.
- Act as Intelligent Customer for support services provided by others (including Responsible Designers for highly specialised design knowledge)
- Support staff management and motivation including competency assessment, regular reviews of performance and development plans of any assigned staff, and providing appropriate supervision,where required.
- Understand the research and development on which arguments and evidence are based and review the implications of operating experience on the design.
- Support and advice on the documentation of claims, arguments and evidence to provide robust substantiation.
- Support the team through maintaining a strategic oversight combined with ability to take topic areas and undertake a focused assessment and review
- Degree or equivalent qualification in a suitable engineering or science subject.
- Chartered Engineer or Scientist, or have the qualifications and experience to achieve that status.
- Demonstrates a track record of success, achievement and learning in career to date, adding value within relevant positions.
- Previous experience of the review and acceptance/adoption of designs and security,environmental and safety cases.
- Experience within UK Nuclear sector
- Experience of Safety Assessment Principles & Site License Conditions
- Experience of interfacing with Nuclear Regulators on design issues related to achieve significant agreed business outcomes.
- Demonstrates considerable knowledge and understanding across a broad range of design and safety issues.
- Flexibility and mobility to undertake business travel as required.
- Familiar with the concept of Safety in Design
- Able to work with information with a sensitive classification
- Understanding of RGP and ALARP/ALARA- Specifications, competence and quality control in a nuclear context
- Considerable experience in complex engineering and design projects.
- A good grounding in UK nuclear safety culture and performing design and design assurance in a ‘UKcontext’.
- A broad understanding across a the full civils, structures and architectural topic areas in a UK context and able to advise and support regulatory engagement
- Considerable experience in complex engineering and design projects- CSCS ‘Professionally Qualified Person’ Card or similar (If not held candidate will need to obtain appropriate card)
- Knowledge of survey and investigation including post event assessment
- Deep understanding of relevant analysis and design techniques and software
- Experience of construction and commissioning on a nuclear site and material/workmanship specifications
- Working knowledge of the nuclear power plant operation and relationship of design to safety case-
- Work within a project management delivery process including stage gate approvals
- Working knowledge of the CDM Regulations
- Able to work with information with a UK sensitive classification
- Working Knowledge across a full range of ground, civils, structures and architectural matters and integration of design across all disciplines.