Our client, a major nuclear developer require a Nuclear Technology Engineer to support a major UK programme, based in London on a permanent basis.
Engage and supervise the nuclear technology design activities, review and accept the nuclear technology deliverables. Ensure the safety, consistency and integrity of related engineering design.
For identified Projects within the early programme of work, establish the necessary nuclear technology engineering support to:
- The Feasibility Studies
- The basic, detail and execution design
- The Consent and permit
- The Business case development
Be responsible to establish the IC and DA required technical capabilities in nuclear technology areas.
Be responsible to take technical review to the safety case in nuclear technology areas and attend relevant regulatory review meetings.
Be responsible for the establishment and implementation of technical procedures, technical standards in nuclear technology areas.
Assist the management of scope, quality, technical risk related design contractor in nuclear technology areas.
Carry out any other engineering works assigned by directors.
To be minimally qualified for this role, a candidate must have:
- Understanding of the requirements for a UK laws and regulations, what is required, good practice and key elements
- Understanding of generic Nuclear Safety, Security and Environment Policies and, particularly, those elements relevant to the Safety case
- Understanding of ALARP and BAT, their application as well as the relevant good practice in the UK. Includes the key application of ALARP in the design and safety case
- Understand the key elements of nuclear technology design in support to a Nuclear Power Plant, including:
- Safety Functions and Systems Categorization and Classification within the UK context
- Applicable UK codes and standards (e.g. nuclear materials storage and transportation)
- Skilled in the following nuclear technology design areas:
- Fuel and core design calculations
- Fuel route safety assessment
- Fuel transport safety assessment
- Fuel behaviour in normal operation and fault conditions
- Irradiated fuel inventory and decay heat calculations
- Reactor physics modelling methods and computer codes
- Core physics and fuel management calculations
- In-core component specification, design, limits and conditions
- Nuclear safeguards materials accountancy
- Nuclear safeguards controls
- Criticality analysis techniques
- Criticality safety assessment
- Damaged fuel management issues
- Degree qualification in a relevant subject or able to demonstrate commensurate experience
- Excellent project management and organisational skills, secured by practical experience and/ or a qualification
- Chartered Engineer, equivalent or journeyman to being Chartered
- Preferably, experienced in the delivery of Safety Cases for major nuclear infrastructure projects
- Excellent presentation and communication skills; able to effectively interact with senior managers and executives
- Exceptional people management skills
- Demonstrated influencing and collaborative work style preferably developed while working in complex and international teams
- Excellent analytical skills
- Good level of knowledge in a range planning, consents, environmental and waste issues for major projects
- Good level of knowledge and skill in a range of construction planning activities for major, preferably nuclear, infrastructure projects
- Good level of knowledge and skills in the assessment of infrastructure feasibility for major projects
- Good level of knowledge and experience with developing Engineering Concept designs for major infrastructure projects
- Good knowledge of technical submissions required to the UK Regulators and European Commission over the necessary consents and approvals
- Experience of working within cross-functional teams
- Excellent and proven ability to communicate with external stakeholders
- Ability to cope well under pressure and within tight timeframes
- Display a logical thought process and a methodical approach to work
- Very good ability to communicate the case for change where necessary