Do you have nuclear experience and want to play a significant role, as the Subject Matter Expert, supporting the execution of projects of a major organization in the engineering sector?
Adding value and expertise to a well-known global organization, also operating in Canada, our client is in search for a Principal Engineer. This is a permanent position based mainly in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.
As part of a growing team, the Principal Engineer, will provide technical leadership, coaching and mentoring to the high performing engineering technical team. You will provide technical input and oversight to the development of conceptual/detailed equipment designs as they progress through a structured design process.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
You have a solid technical background with strong interpersonal and communication abilities and are approachable, credible and build respect. These are essential attributes to be successful as part of the team and as a leader in this team-based environment. You are a problem solver and are creative while being methodical in your approach. You will use these skills and:
- Review, approve final drawings, technical specifications, technical reports, and analysis such as calculations or computational models.
- Perform classical calculations and/or computational analysis with the respective authoring of design reports.
- Prepare and approve design registration packages for pressure retaining systems and components for CANDU nuclear power plants.
- Champion and lead improvement initiatives related the production of Engineering deliverables, including investment and training in state-of-the-art tools and technologies.
- Oversight of typical governance activities as they relate to the Engineering function (e.g., formal design review gates or compliance to code/regulatory requirements)
- Represent the Engineering team at external forums as a subject matter expert on relevant topics.
- Coaching, mentoring and support of technical development of Engineering team members while supporting a culture of collaboration and knowledge growth within the team.
- Licensed P.Eng. member of Professional Engineers Ontario (Mechanical Engineering)
- Minimum 10+ years of relevant design experience
- Extensive experience in the substantiation of custom equipment typically: steel structures, hoisting systems, mechanical drive/positioning systems and shielded containers.
- Experienced in pressure retaining systems to CSA and ASME design codes.
- Experience in conceptual design development, design reviews and engineering change control processes
- Thorough knowledge of FEA using software such as ANSYS, Ceaser or Autopipe
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and comfortable leading meetings and giving presentations.
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience working effectively in a team environment.
- Application of the relevant codes and standards applicable to the design of nuclear components and systems including specialized tooling and remote handling equipment.
- Knowledge and experience working to nuclear quality assurance programs that meet the requirements of CSA-N299, CSA-N285.0 or NQA-1.
to be discussed
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, we can only consider applicants who are eligible to work in Canada and who are already located in the country.