Working in support of Longenecker & Associates, Thomas Thor USA is currently seeking a Quality Assurance Engineer for Los Alamos National Laboratory. This is a permanent position to be based in Los Alamos, NM.
Longenecker & Associates is a woman-owned and operated small business with 30 years of experience providing technical, management, analytical and other support to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) complex and sites, including many of the National Laboratories.
Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution dedicated to enhancing national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns.
Various positions exist within QA Program Management, QA Project/Field Support, and Quality Inspections and Assessments; and deployed position in Environmental Remediation Program, within RCRA Remediation.
The QA & Transformation (QA&T) Program will lead and assess LLCC-wide efforts to ensure that N3B’s organizational culture (how we do things here), safety culture (our priority on safety) and safety conscious work environment (workers feel free to bring up issues) are in complete alignment. The three critical organizational elements needed to fully align these cultures are Leadership, Engaged Employees and continuous Organizational Learning.
Guides the development, implementation, and evaluation of processes, procedures and applications contributing to the overall objectives of maintaining an effective quality program.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities (may include, but are not limited to):
- While working to achieve N3B LLCC objectives, ensures all activities and operations are performed in a safe and deliberate manner; maintains required safety, security and operational training; assures procedural and regulatory compliance; and makes safety, security and quality an integral part of every task, including taking the necessary steps to stop work if continuing the job is unsafe or compromises security
- Determines and defines project/LLCC-wide quality assurance/quality control objectives and assignments
- Provides technical expertise and initiative in identifying areas to which quality assurance practices may be introduced and enhanced to ensure LLCC objectives are compliantly met
- Provides oversight of specific QA plans, assessment support to line managers, supplier evaluation scheduling and coordination; pre-evaluation; notification; reporting; corrective action; and documentation
- Ensures quality assurance results, materials, processes and final products meet quality specifications and are completed according to established requirements
- Follows up on actions taken in response to audit findings to assure adequacy of completed corrective actions, providing recommendations on best practices to effectively address the findings
- May direct and assist other quality engineers, quality specialists, and technical specialists in the planning, conduct, and reporting of vendor and internal independent assessments, surveillances, and audits
- Prepares, reviews, receives, indexes, classifies, and transmits administrative and QA records
- Plans and conducts analysis, inspection, design, and testing activities
- Reviews and approves inspections reports; initiates, validates and closes non-conformance reports
- Develops institutional QA training programs and methods of training for effective implementation of QA programs; prepares and trains others as needed
- Serves as an assessor or lead assessor
- Participates in and supports lessons learned and continuous improvement initiatives
- Interprets performance indicators and assessment results to assist management with performance improvement
- Fosters a mutually respectful work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment
We are currently recruiting applicants that are legally entitled to work in the United States of America
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelors’ degree in appropriate discipline; however, a combination of education and relevant experience wherein the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the position’s duties and responsibilities have been adequately demonstrated is acceptable
- Understanding of the LLCC goals and objectives
- Demonstrated experience related to essential duties
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must meet the eligibility requirements for a DOE Access Authorization (DOE Q Clearance), if necessary
- Knowledge and experience of quality assurance regulatory/contractual/technical documents (i.e., Department of Energy [DOE] orders, DOE Order 414.1, 10CFR830, NQA-1, contractual requirements relevant to quality assurance activities). Knowledge and experience with the interrelation of these requirements documents.
- Lead auditor certified or ability to obtain Lead auditor certification
- Demonstrated expert-level exceptional skill in the preparation and presentation of quality assurance reports
- Demonstrated experience reviewing and revising procedures and plans
- Demonstrated experience related to procurement quality activities such as review of procurement documentation and procurement specification, receipt acceptance, supplier evaluations, monitoring supplier performance, and maintaining evaluated supplier list.
- Demonstrated experience developing, analyzing, and reporting Quality Assurance Metrics.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate
- Sedentary Work Category – The employee exerts up to 10 pounds of force occasional and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to handle or fee and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
- This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Complete understanding and knowledge of NQA-1 requirements and applicable DOE and EM QA policies and requirements
- Broad expertise and knowledge of environmental remediation and waste management projects and associated technical concerns
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact constructively with all levels of N3B management, subject matter experts and external agencies
- Proven strong analytical skills to perform assessments and identify and evaluate quality-affecting issues and risks that could impede N3B from meeting LLCC objectives and requirements
- Ability to uses independent judgment for determining course of action
- Skill and ability to independently develop and administer schedules and assessment requirements, and to integrate them into systems
- Ability to lead and support audit and inspection efforts throughout LLCC to identify and assess quality issues, deficiencies and potential non-compliances
- The career level of the position will be determined by the years of relevant experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities; after a candidate has been chosen
- Demonstrated experience interacting and effectively communicating with all levels of personnel.
- Expert-level oral and written communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and lead a cross-organizational team and assure accomplishment of team objectives
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in determining the appropriate course of action in a dynamic atmosphere of changing priorities
- experience and ability to ensure quality assurance requirements are met during all phases of operations including facilities, equipment, waste and environmental management.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and interpret various physical, mechanical, and electrical documents, blueprints, drawings, specifications, and schematics.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability or age.