Our client is searching for a Research & Development (R&D) Tritium/Fusion Scientist to provide technical leadership and oversight of key projects in the areas of tritium handling and processing, as well as fusion energy development for the Hydrogen Technologies Branch.
Reporting directly to the Branch Manager, you will act as a Section Leader and spearhead research and development in the existing tritium and fusion research program examining tritium interaction with materials, tritium generation and transport in various reactor designs (e.g., small modular reactors, molten salt reactors and fusion reactors), as well as the removal of tritium from process streams leveraging state-of-the-art equipment and our client’s distinguished expertise in tritium removal technology. As a key contact for developing fusion technologies in Canada and an ambassador of knowledge to other countries, you will be part of a well-established and highly specialized team that is actively involved in developing, assessing, and facilitating commercialization of innovative leading-edge technologies.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Actively participating in short- and long-term planning of the branch and the tritium/fusion program, influencing the branch’s and company’s strategic technical direction in the fields of tritium and fusion
- Supervising and leading a team of scientists and technologists to provide technological and scientific expertise, including conducting laboratory experiments in concert with technologist and other peer-scientist
- Pro-actively working with business development to identify opportunities and lead R&D activities for commercial applications
- Planning and conducting research in areas relevant to fusion, tritium handling and processing, such as extraction of tritium from fusion fuel blankets, tritium interactions with materials, tritium capture and storage in both elemental and oxide forms, and tritium transport in both fusion and small modular reactor designs
- Analysing the results of the team’s scientific research, and preparing research reports for publication in peer reviewed scientific literature, as well as research reports for internal and external customers
- Attending and delivering oral presentations at technical meetings, workshops, and conferences representing the company on major scientific and technological issues nationally and internationally
- Producing administrative, progress, scientific and technical reports, including high quality journal and project publications to inform and support federal priorities
- Providing expert scientific advice within company and to external clients. Identifying emerging market opportunities and supporting execution of commercial projects
- A Ph.D. degree in a relevant Science or Engineering discipline from a recognized university
- A minimum of 12 – 15 years of relevant work experience in the areas of tritium handling, tritium processing, tritium transport within systems, or fusion reactors
- A minimum of 7-10 years of supervisory experience in a research environment is required
- Strong theoretical knowledge and practical skills/experience in tritium interactions with a variety of various materials, tritium handling in both elemental and oxide forms, and tritium processing, as demonstrated by peer-reviewed publications, conference abstracts, research reports or fellowships
- Demonstrated ability to publish the results of his/her scientific research as lead or senior author in peer reviewed scientific literature
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate within multidisciplinary environments and audiences, including shareholders (non-expert)
- A demonstrated commitment to laboratory safety including a good working knowledge of the hazards associated with chemicals and radioactive materials
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills are essential to the performance of the duties of the post.
We thank all applicants for their interest in applying for this position; only applicants who are eligible to work in Canada will be considered.
Tritium Handling & Processing | Fusion Energy Development | Technical Leadership