Ontario Power Generation (OPG) is looking for a technical advisor to oversee OPG’s engineering deliverables for the SMR project; the successful candidate will provide input to the managed systems that will be put in place in preparation of unit operation. This position is to join their Darlington New Nuclear Project (DNNP) Engineering team in the role of Senior Manager, Boiling Water Reactor (BWR) – Engineering.
The Senior Manager is driven and has proven technical leadership on BWRs (equipment reliability, designed safety) and is required to lead or participate in project teams, and serve on committees to advance the safe development, operation, and maintenance requirements of Boiling Water Reactors (BWRs) for Ontario Power Generation’s (OPG) Small Modular Reactor (SMR) program.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of OPG’s SMR journey – the first of its kind in North America -where you will directly contribute to Ontario Power Generation’s continued growth and success in generating safe, clean, reliable low-cost power in a sustainable manner.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Design, specify materials, and commission installations or modifications of systems and equipment associated with BWRs for OPG’s SMR projects.
- Drive and carry out analyses, and participate in environmental studies, as required.
- Provide for the collection and synthesis of information to ensure effective work planning and scheduling, and to monitor and assess the performance of systems and equipment, making recommendations and implementing changes to meet work demands of safety, production, financial and other Business Unit controls.
- Develop/Implement Nuclear managed systems and maintain a clear operational focus in all plant activities. This includes the establishment of nuclear governance frameworks to support this new technology and linkages to the existing overall corporate policies.
- Develop station operating, maintenance, testing, and other programs/procedures.
- Provide leadership in the planning and strategy development related to BWRs.
- Establish rapport and maintain contact and cooperative relationships with engineering, construction, operations, and maintenance staff. This role requires heavy collaboration in a matrix environment during the planning phase as many pieces of this work will fall within engineering and other support organizations.
- Lead teams to verify and evaluate vendor cost estimates and the proposal process to procure both consultant and technical services to advance SMR plans. This will include providing final recommendations on selections for services and vendors.
- Oversee or assist in overseeing contractors for work conducted under the auspices of assigned projects.
- As OPG’s ambassador on SMR technology, work to educate and partner with domestic and international organizations and monitor trends and new developments. This work will focus on gaining trust and buy-in first domestically and then internationally for SMR growth and implementation as provinces work on retiring coal plants and replacing them with potential SMR technology. This will involve a great deal of influence as this is untested technology in the domestic and global space but has significant possibilities to change our energy landscape.
- Plan and carry out investigations and studies related to construction/engineering/field problems. Initiate work/tests to be carried out by others, such as technicians. Prepare reports for review to support conclusions and recommendations and ensure communication of changes/plans are provided to all stakeholders.
- Perform technical supervision of engineers, technicians and others assigned to support projects or work plans.
- Serve as department/division representative at meetings, internal/external committees, and study groups. Keep abreast of the latest technology and process developments in your area of expertise to ensure continuous improvement.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering; post-secondary education in technical field may be considered based on overall experience.
- Nuclear Physicist or Engineer
- Approximately 15 + years experience as a strategic leader, who has demonstrated experience leading a team through the planning and development of a new facility in a matrixed environment.
- Experience working with Boiling Water Reactor technology; Experience in station engineering at a BWR Plant
- Prior experience leading the development or implementation of Nuclear managed systems including the establishment of nuclear governance frameworks and linkages to existing corporate policies.
The successful candidate will exhibit uncompromising integrity and commitment to upholding corporate values and the OPG Code of Business Conduct.
Technical Advisor – Engineering Deliverables, SMR’s, BWR’s, Design & System, Engineer, Physicist, Leadership