The Head of Commercial – MEH is a crucial, senior, and strategic role, reporting the Supply Chain Director and responsible for managing a commercial team in the successful delivery of all pre and post contract commercial issues.
The Senior Commercial Lead will typically be responsible for a contract(s) in excess of £1bn in value subject to the level of risk or complexity and will typically lead a commercial team of 10-30 people.
It is a key role within the project Leadership team with accountability to the program Director and the Supply Chain Director.
You’ll be the primary point of commercial contact for the portfolio of contracts assigned to them and will be required to work closely and pro-actively with the other stakeholders at all levels and across all the teams within Nuclear New Build to ensure that the requirements of the Project and their impact upon the overall Project are successfully delivered.
- The management of a commercial team to manage either a single contract or portfolio of contracts
- Consideration of the nuclear baseline and distribution of nuclear safety significant responsibilities within the team
- The commercial management of contracts in accordance with governance requirements to meet project and business objectives
- For the successful execution of, and maintaining compliance with, the procurement process during the Procurement phase (pre-award)
- Leading a team in the commercial management of contracts during the execution phase (post-award)
- Leading a team in the delivery of contract final account agreements (closeout)
- Professional development of self and people within the team
- Engagement where necessary with the UK regulators (ONR / EA / CNS)
- Ensuring that all Principal Accountabilities for the Commercial Team are implemented in accordance with commercial procedures
- Member of the RICS / CICES / IOB / CIPS or equivalent professional body
- Educated to degree level
- Able to demonstrate an extensive track record of working as part of a Project Senior Management Team and managing Commercial Teams and administering successful contracts
- Effective Commercial Management and Leadership skills, with clear knowledge of best practice contract methodologies in the UK environment
- Highly developed commercial skills and demonstrable ability to make sound decisions on matters of high financial value
- Good understanding of procurement, contract performance measurement, risk management, and change and claim management
- Good negotiating, influencing and communication skills to command professional respect at all levels
- Experience with most common Forms of Contract (NEC & FIDIC) within the power construction industry and major projects and program environment; with particular knowledge of UK Law and its impact upon the contract and commercial function is essential
- Familiar with the nuclear site license conditions and the nuclear baseline philosophy
- Good understanding of the UK regulatory framework
- Good understanding of UK and international supply chain management