Working in support of Longenecker & Associates, Thomas Thor USA is currently seeking a Software Quality Assurance Engineer for Los Alamos National Laboratory. This is a position to be based in Los Alamos, NM.
Longenecker & Associates is a woman-owned and operated small business with 30 years of experience providing technical, management, analytical and other support to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) complex and sites, including many of the National Laboratories. They specialize in providing long-term and quick turnaround support in mission assurance – an optimized and integrated suite of systems, tools and processes that ensure compliance, enhance performance, reduce costs and increase efficiency, project delivery – including a wide range of capabilities directly related to tailoring the implementation of DOE Order 413.3B, operations support – providing expert advice and resources to strengthen high hazard operations, and business strategy – to underpin effective operations.
Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution dedicated to enhancing national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns.
LANL is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center which aligns their strategic plan with priorities set by the Department of Energy (DOE), the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), and key relevant national strategy guidance documents, such as the Nuclear Posture Review, the National Security Strategy , and the Blueprint for a Secure Energy Future.
The QA & Transformation (QA&T) Program will lead and assess LLCC-wide efforts to ensure that N3B’s organizational culture, safety culture and safety conscious work environment (workers feel free to bring up issues) are in complete alignment. The three critical organizational elements needed to fully align these cultures are Leadership, Engaged Employees and continuous Organizational Learning. Newport News Nuclear BWXT Los Alamos (N3B) manages the 10-year, $1.38 billion Los Alamos Legacy Cleanup Contract for the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Environmental Management, Los Alamos Field Office.
Guides the development, implementation, and evaluation of processes, procedures and applications contributing to the overall objectives of maintaining an effective quality program.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities (may include, but are not limited to):
- While working to achieve N3B LLCC objectives, ensures all activities and operations are performed in a safe and deliberate manner; maintains required safety, security and operational training; assures procedural and regulatory compliance; and makes safety, security and quality an integral part of every task, including taking the necessary steps to stop work if continuing the job is unsafe or compromises security
- Determines and defines project/LLCC-wide quality assurance/quality control objectives and assignments
- Provides technical expertise and initiative in identifying areas to which quality assurance practices may be introduced and enhanced to ensure LLCC objectives are compliantly met
- Provides oversight of specific QA plans, assessment support to line managers, supplier evaluation scheduling and coordination; pre-evaluation; notification; reporting; corrective action; and documentation
- Ensures quality assurance results, materials, processes and final products meet quality specifications and are completed according to established requirements
- Follows up on actions taken in response to audit findings to assure adequacy of completed corrective actions, providing recommendations on best practices to effectively address the findings
- May direct and assist other quality engineers, quality specialists, and technical specialists in the planning, conduct, and reporting of vendor and internal independent assessments, surveillances, and audits
- Prepares, reviews, receives, indexes, classifies, and transmits administrative and QA records
- Plans and conducts analysis, inspection, design, and testing activities
- Reviews and approves inspections reports; initiates, validates and closes non-conformance reports
- Develops institutional QA training programs and methods of training for effective implementation of QA programs; prepares and trains others as needed
- Serves as an assessor or lead assessor
- Participates in and supports lessons learned and continuous improvement initiatives
- Interprets performance indicators and assessment results to assist management with performance improvement
- Fosters a mutually respectful work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment
We are currently recruiting applicants that are legally entitled to work in the United States of America
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelors’ degree in appropriate discipline; however, a combination of education and relevant experience wherein the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the position’s duties and responsibilities have been adequately demonstrated is acceptable
- Complete understanding and knowledge of NQA-1 requirements and applicable DOE and EM QA policies and requirements
- Experience with Oversight Techniques DOE 414.1D and ANSI N45.2
- Demonstrated experience in metrics reporting and development
- Experience with Software Configuration Management
- SME Software Quality Assurance knowledge and requirement complicance
- Demonstrated experience related to essential duties
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must meet the eligibility requirements for a DOE Access Authorization (DOE Q Clearance), if necessary
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate
- Sedentary Work Category – The employee exerts up to 10 pounds of force occasional and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to handle or fee and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
- This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Understanding of the LLCC goals and objectives
- Broad expertise and knowledge of environmental remediation and waste management projects and associated technical concerns
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact constructively with all levels of N3B management, subject matter experts and external agencies
- Proven strong analytical skills to perform assessments and identify and evaluate quality-affecting issues and risks that could impede N3B from meeting LLCC objectives and requirements
- Ability to uses independent judgment for determining course of action
- Skill and ability to independently develop and administer schedules and assessment requirements, and to integrate them into systems
- Ability to lead and support audit and inspection efforts throughout LLCC to identify and assess quality issues, deficiencies and potential non-compliances
- Additional characteristics of high potential candidate include: technical guidance, self-motivated, interpersonal communication skills, attention to detail, and issue identification skills
- The career level of the position will be determined by the years of relevant experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities; after a candidate has been chosen
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability or age.