Our client, a major nuclear developer require a Lead C&I and Electrical Engineer to support a major UK programme, based in London on a permanent basis.
This role is to engage and supervise the C&I and electrical design activities, technical review and accept the C&I and electrical deliverables. Ensure the safety, consistency and integrity of related engineering design.
You will also provide the necessary C&I and electrical engineering support to:The Feasibility Studies, The basic, detail and execution design, The Consent and permit, The Business case development
- Be responsible to establish the IC and DA required technical capabilities in C&I and electrical areas.
- Be responsible to take technical review to the safety case in C&I and electrical areas and attend relevant regulatory review meetings.
- Be responsible for the establishment and implementation of technical procedures, technical standards in C&I and electrical areas.
- Assist the management of scope, quality, technical risk related design contractor in C&I and electrical area.
- Carry out any other engineering works assigned by EMO directors.
To be minimally qualified for this role, a candidate must have:
- Understanding of the requirements for a UK laws and regulations, what is required, good practice and key elements
- Understanding of generic Nuclear Safety, Security and Environment Policies and, particularly, those elements relevant to the Safety case
- Understanding of ALARP and BAT, their application as well as the relevant good practice in the UK. Includes the key application of ALARP in the design and safety case
- Understand the key elements of C&I and electrical design in support to a Nuclear Power Plant, including: Safety Functions and Systems Categorization and Classification within the UK context, Applicable codes and standards, including the relevant Codes and standards for C&I system design (e.g. BS/EN 61513, BS/EN 61226 and BS/EN 61508, BS EN ISO 4126, BS EN 60709, BS EN 60987, BS EN 61225, BS EN 62138 and BS EN 60880, etc.), Applicable codes and standards, including the relevant Codes and standards for electrical system design (e.g. understanding of applicable Electrical standards, design codes and regulations including but not limited to Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, CDM regulations 2015, BS 7671, BS EN 61936, BS EN 60664 and BS EN 61000.)
- Skilled in the following I&C areas:Control in Nuclear Design and Operation, Instrumentation in Nuclear Design and Operation, Reliability analysis of C&I systems, Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) and Radio Frequency Interference (RFI), Cyber security standards, Application of C&I in UK, including SMARTs and ICBMs, Class 1 C&I systems design, Class 2, 3 and NC C&I systems, Site and support C&I systems, I&C Design Basics, Fire Detection and Protection system design, Equipment Qualification (EQ) of I&C equipment, Deep understanding of Internal and External hazards, Fault Studies and PSA for a nuclear power plant
- Skilled in the following electrical areas: Electrical equipment and systems design, Electrical Power System design, including Power Flow analysis and use of tools, Grid Code Compliance, Main Generator, Transformers, Standby Power Generation, Low Voltage and High Voltage Switchgear, DC Systems, AC UPS Systems, Motors, Earthing, Bonding and Lightning Protection, Power cables (including earthing cables), electrical cables and panel wiring, Primary containment electrical penetrations, Equipment Qualification (EQ) of electrical equipment, Building services Electrical supplies
- Degree qualification in a relevant subject or able to demonstrate commensurate experience
- Excellent project management and organisational skills, secured by practical experience and/ or a qualification
- Chartered Engineer, equivalent or journeyman to being Chartered
- Preferably, experienced in the delivery of Safety Cases for major nuclear infrastructure projects
- Excellent presentation and communication skills; able to effectively interact with senior managers and executives
- Exceptional people management skills
- Demonstrated influencing and collaborative work style preferably developed while working in complex and international teams
- Excellent analytical skills
- Good level of knowledge in a range planning, consents, environmental and waste issues for major projects
- Good level of knowledge and skill in a range of construction planning activities for major, preferably nuclear, infrastructure projects
- Good level of knowledge and skills in the assessment of infrastructure feasibility for major projects
- Good level of knowledge and experience with developing Engineering Concept designs for major infrastructure projects
- Good knowledge of technical submissions required to the UK Regulators and European Commission over the necessary consents and approvals
- Experience of working within cross-functional teams
- Excellent and proven ability to communicate with external stakeholders
- Ability to cope well under pressure and within tight timeframes
- Display a logical thought process and a methodical approach to work
- Very good ability to communicate the case for change where necessary