Our client, a nuclear technology company, is seeking to contract with a highly motivated Chemical Process Engineer to support the engineering efforts of the System Design Discipline team. This role will work as part of a high functioning team of engineers and scientists focused on the development and design of processes and systems for the Molten Chloride Fast Reactor (MCFR) design.
Your role will include interfacing with a team of scientists and engineers with both experimental and process design activities. You will investigate and develop creative solutions for the MCFR and associated MCRE subsystems.
- Interface with various project teams to develop chemical processes/systems that meet programmatic objectives for a wide range of MCFR initiatives, including fuel salt synthesis, fuel salt polishing, fuel salt sampling, and fuel salt disposal process engineering tasks.
- Coordinate input and requirements from program management, engineering, and analysis teams to produce experimental design solutions.
- Apply Systems Engineering principles and methods (e.g. requirements definition, interface management) to the design of nuclear and industrial facilities and their systems.
- Generate system process design work packages.
- Support experimental, analytical, and design work of other engineers, scientists and subject matter experts on the MCRE project design team.
- Present designs and analysis results for design reviews.
- Develop test requirements and plans for testing unique phenomena in a high-temperature molten salt environment and interface with the responsible groups for laboratory-scale testing activities.
- Perform analysis on test data and generate technical reports to document new knowledge related to reactor design and qualification.
- Provide engineering design support for the procurement of engineered components and systems within the chemical process systems of the project.
- Perform oversight and manage execution of external procurements of materials, equipment, and services, including authoring procurement requisitions and managing supplier performance to plan.
- Support development and maintenance of discipline resources (guides, procedures, software, etc.) to meet discipline and project needs.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
Key Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in Chemical engineering or equivalent.
- Recognized experience with 7+ years in the field of chemical engineering or equivalent.
- Experience with chemical engineering design and analysis software tools such as ASPEN+, ChemCAD, HYSYS, GoldSim or equivalent required.
- Demonstrated experience with process/system design including PFDs, P&IDs, and ability to specify components and systems.
- Experience with engineering tools such as AutoCAD and Mathcad are a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work on a multidisciplinary team of engineers and scientists.
- Experience with molten salt or other high-temperature fluid systems desired.
- Experience with corrosive fluid/metal interaction, corrosion of steels, nickel alloys and/or refractory metals desired.
- Nuclear design experience desired, but not required.
- Experience writing specifications for the procurement, fabrication, or testing of components is desired.
- Experience with Python and data science are a plus.
- Working knowledge of ASME component design (Section III, Section VIII, B31.3 etc) is a plus.
- Experience working to quality standards such as ASME NQA-1, ISO 9001, or equivalent.
System Design and Chemical Process