How does Thomas Thor support Equality, Diversity & Inclusion in the nuclear industry?
January 25, 2020
The words ‘’Equality’’, ‘’Diversity’’ and ‘’Inclusion’’ are used with increasing frequency these days, which is great news. We are living in a time where the focus is evolving from conversation and good intentions to meaningful action and systemic change in terms of achieving equality, diversity and inclusion in the workforce. The nuclear industry is going through a similar transition and awakening as many other industries, which provides valuable opportunities for sharing best practice and lessons learned across industries.
Thomas Thor is at the front line when it comes to equality, diversity and inclusion. Our mission is ‘’Building and Sustaining the Global Nuclear Workforce’’. We therefore have a responsibility to lead the way and support organisations in the nuclear industry to evolve.
Thomas Thor has established a global network of offices and a workforce that is 50% male and 50% female, including a diverse range of nationalities, backgrounds, identities and attributes. We realise that we need to lead by example before we advise other organisations in the nuclear industry.
We have developed and successfully implemented a range of initiatives and services to support organisations in the global nuclear industry to work towards an equal, diverse and inclusive workforce. Below are some examples of the work we have done, and continue to do:
Leading and Funding E,D&I Initiatives:
- Our CEO is co-founder of ‘’Diversity & Inclusion in UK Nuclear’’, an initiative started in the UK to enable the 11,000 people managers in the UK nuclear industry to achieve equality, diversity and inclusion in their teams. Thomas Thor provides ongoing financial and resource support to the initiative, which is intended to expand to other countries.
- Thomas Thor has committed to the young generation in the nuclear industry, through a 10 year partnership with IYNC (International Youth Nuclear Congress). We support their mentoring programme, event organisation, communication strategy and provide sponsorship
- We support WiN (Women in Nuclear) chapters across several countries, providing sponsorship and contribution to events as well as carrying out research projects
- Thomas Thor hosts interns for E,D&I projects. We create project scopes for 6-12 month projects, hire suitable interns and manage them to deliver the projects from our offices
Attracting and Recruiting a Diverse Workforce:
- Supporting organisations by writing job descriptions and creating candidate information packs that are more accessible and attractive to a wide diversity of applicants
- Advising on how to reach a more diverse audience when recruiting – through advertising and through proactive searches
- Acting as an ambassador for career opportunities in the global nuclear industry, bringing highly skilled professionals with diverse experience and perspectives from other relevant industries to the nuclear industry
- We deliver candidate shortlists that always include a diversity of candidates for interview
Employee Retention and Inclusion:
- Development and management of effective onboarding processes that ensure new starters are treated equally and feel included from the day they sign the contract until they are fully settled in the organisation
- Design and implementation of inclusive induction programmes
Training and Workshops:
- Training hiring managers in managing the full lifecycle recruitment process with E,D&I as a core objective, from writing job descriptions right through to onboarding new team members
- Workshops focused on identifying the benefits to individuals, teams and organisations of E,D&I and establishing alignment across stakeholders in the organisation
- Workshops designed to explore the E,D&I challenges and opportunities specific to an
Equality – working towards a workforce where everyone feels equal and is treated equally
Diversity – a workforce truly representative of the diversity in the community and wider population
Inclusion – everyone in the workforce feels a sense of belonging and connection
Share this post